Music

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 09:15:15 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:02:16PM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> How about the death of the local newspaper as another threat to the
> freedom of speech? Most surviving newspapers are owned by huge media
> corporations whose goals may be counter to printing that story on
> insider trading of media stocks.

Absolutely. But here is the conundrum. Do we take away the rights of
these major conglomerations to make money? I have thought of this for a
LONG time. The only thing I can come up with (and I hope someone can
intelligently argue an opposing view, for I'm still in limbo) is that a
business entity should not be give the same rights as a human entity.
However, that brings up so many more finer points.

> Actually the biggest threat to our freedoms is the lack of interest in
> participating in our government and not voting. For those of you who
> think your vote doesn't count just remember the less than 500 votes here
> in Florida that chose our current president.

Lack in interest, yes. Voting, no. How often to you hear the phrase "I
chose the lesser of two evils" when someone talks about voting. I've used
that phrase. I vote on all elections. Also, how many people vote a party
versus a person. I'd say that is about 98% of all voters. That is
something that makes me madder than hell. I say incorporate current
events tests to determine whether you can vote or not. Let's face it, a
non-voter is probably less dangerous than and clueless voter.

--
Archaic

--
Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?

- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org