Religion (Was Re: Music)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 08:40:30 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 11:08:55AM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> I do not know what is the right thing to do. How do you resolve the
> Freedom of Speech vs. Freedom of Religion? I lean towards Freedom of
> Speech since that freedom is absolutely essential in maintaining all the
> other freedoms.

They can go hand in hand. The concept of freedom of speech is a
guarantee (supposedly) that says you can freely express yourself.
However, in larger contexts, your freedoms stop where another's begin.
Therefore, in order for you to be able to freely express yourself, I
must also be able to freely excuse myself from your presence. In
schools, I cannot freely excuse myself so the bubble of freedom you are
wrapped in has to be temporarily shrunken to allow for not stepping into
the bubble of others rights. That's how religion fits in. Obviously, if
I should accidently walk into a church (pick your favorite denomination)
and say, "Whoa! I don't like this", I can freely walk out. If I go to
school and the teacher starts leading a prayer, I can't. Of course,
things are taken WAY out of proprtion (as always). Example: my friends
and I want to pray before class. We do not force people to participate,
there is no obstruction of their freedoms. That example should be
allowed. A teacher or faculty member, on the other hand, during school
hours, is a representative of the government, and should refrain. But
you can read my other post to see what I think about that.

--
Archaic

--
"Are we to understand," asked the judge, "that you hold your own
interests above the interests of the public?" "I hold that such a

- Ayn Rand

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org