Music

Robert Ian Smit robian at wanadoo.nl
Thu Jun 13 18:07:07 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:38:00PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:

> I used to study Music (indeed, I started it at University level before I
> switched to being a medical student - a *long* story, don't ask!) and I
> have to say that JS Bach produced some of the most intricate and
> beautiful music ever written.  Shame really that it was lost between his
> death in 1750 and the revival by Mendelssohn during his lifetime
> (1809-1847 although I'm not sure at which point in his life he
> championed Bach, I believe it was pretty much something he did from the
> start).  BTW, I also rank Mendelssohn very highly.

I am not very familiar with Mendelssohn. I do know that he revived
the performance of the St. Matthew Passion in 1829. He arranged the
original work for his performances.

> >  Isn't life the crap you do, while
> > busy planning it. I quote (not very accurately) John Lennon.
>
> I'd forgotten about that quote.  It makes me think a *lot*...

I just googled a bit and found the original quote:

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."

BTW my shortlist of favourite composers would be: Mozart, Beethoven
Bach. I just hope I will never be sent to a deserted island and
generously been allowed to take three corpora of music with me. I'd
hate to leave behind Monteverdi, Schubert, Mahler, Shostakovich etc.
etc.

I think I have been blasphemous enough in this thread so far. I just
want to add to the above list one of my current day favourites.
Elton John. I saw him in concert tuesday evening. Although I hate
the song now, Nikita was the first song I really loved and I have
been a fan since then. I used to be a little bit ashamed of that.
But when you get older, you don't care about being cool, eh? I would
certainly cheat and also take EJs music to the island.

Bob