One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 17:57:45 PDT 2002

On Thu, 13, Jun, 2002 at 03:04:08PM -0700, Timothy Bauscher spoke thus..

> Their point was that termcap is disabled by default,
> and --disable-termcap could be ommitted and receive
> the same results. As the thread said, i tested this.
> It built perfectly well without that parameter, and
> all of the files which exist during a build with the
> parameter also existed without the parameter.
>
> The most interesting part, which makes me think for
> sure that termcap is disabled by default, was that
> when captoinfo is launched on either build, it still
> produces the same result:
>
> "Can't open /etc/termcap"

Hmm.  I wonder if the --disable-termcap is a hangover from an earlier
build process then (pre /static seperation or something).
/me goes to http://cvs.linuxfromscratch.org

I've just looked through the history of the ncurses-inst.xml file and it
has always been there including (from the looks of it) before
ncurses-5.2.  I wonder if it used to default differently and we just
never changed it.

OK, having written the above, I've just looked through the museum and
this option (--disable-termcap) first appeared in LFS-2.3.6 with the
following changelog comment:

======
* .Chapter 5: Added the --disable-termcap option to configure to disable
   termcap backward compatibility (if you want to know why termcap isn't
   used anymore, please read the INSTALL file that comes with the Ncurses
   package).
======

This is with ncurses-5.1 so I'm tempted to think that it just remained
at the upgrade to ncurses-5.2 and that we've kept it ever since even
though you say it now appears we don't need it.

This is heading drastically back on-topic for lfs-dev so I'm cc'ing it
there.  Replies as appropriate (probably to lfs-dev)

> > I'd reckon we should leave it as-is for now.  Maybe Gerard will respond
> > to that thread, I'll be interested to see what he has to say.
>
> Yes. I'm not touching it. He should decide.

Agreed.

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org