One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 15:04:08 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:50:14PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> I've just had a quick look at it (I take it you mean the one on
> lfs-dev).  termcap is the old alternative to the ncurses terminal
> database.  Why we disable it I can't totally remember offhand but I
> *think* it's simply because ncurses itself provides a much better and
> more up-to-date database of terminals than the termcap one.

Their point was that termcap is disabled by default,
and --disable-termcap could be ommitted and receive
the same results. As the thread said, i tested this.
It built perfectly well without that parameter, and
all of the files which exist during a build with the
parameter also existed without the parameter.

The most interesting part, which makes me think for
sure that termcap is disabled by default, was that
when captoinfo is launched on either build, it still
produces the same result:

"Can't open /etc/termcap"

> I'd reckon we should leave it as-is for now.  Maybe Gerard will respond
> to that thread, I'll be interested to see what he has to say.

Yes. I'm not touching it. He should decide.

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org