One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 15:50:14 PDT 2002

On Thu, 13, Jun, 2002 at 02:15:54PM -0700, Timothy Bauscher spoke thus..

> G said something to the sort that it would be a while
> before the site was replaced, being that at the time
> he was integrating the keep-chapter5-... hint.

Fair enough, we all have a lot of work on ATM.

> BTW, did you take a look at that Ncurses thread from
> last night? About removing the --disable-termcap or
> whatnot? The only reason i didn't do it is because
> i don't know wtf a termcap is :) Read the thread for
> details.

I've just had a quick look at it (I take it you mean the one on
lfs-dev).  termcap is the old alternative to the ncurses terminal
database.  Why we disable it I can't totally remember offhand but I
*think* it's simply because ncurses itself provides a much better and
more up-to-date database of terminals than the termcap one.

If someone who knows this area better than me wants to contradict me
though.... ;-P

I'd reckon we should leave it as-is for now.  Maybe Gerard will respond
to that thread, I'll be interested to see what he has to say.

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org