One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 14:26:49 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:57:58PM +0200, Bj?rn Lindberg wrote:
> Well, Hurd is a micro-kernel architecture, so in some ways it is very
> different from the Linux kernel. Some people thinks that micro-kernels
> are superior, so if they ever get that thing ready, it could well be
> that it turns out to be a very good alternative.
>
> The micro-kernel architecture also means that it has some features that
> monolithic kernels lack, so it is more than a clone of or playing
> catch-up with Linux.

First, unless your definition of microkernel is different that what I've
read, Linux is a microkernel. It started monolithic as maintenance was
not the design goal. Instead at the time, speed of coding was the more
important goal. As it took off, and maintenance became one of the
priorities, the design was slowly shifted towards micro. Also, I didn't
mean to give you the sense that we were discussing catch-up within
Linux, but within the abilities of the entire computing world. Open
source in general still has catching up to do. Hate it as you may, the
big dogs drive the markets and the changes that the opensource guys
scramble to try and implement. All I know is that HURD is older than
Linux, still doesn't work well, has few apps for it (outside of GNU
anyway). I'm just saying that at the rate they are going, it seems that
the talent of the coders is being wasted. Sure, it may surpass Linux in
ability, but first it has to rival Linux in ability. Which is a daunting
task considering Linux has an established foothold, is growing in
popularity, and has hundreds or thousands more developers working on it.

> Just some points to maybe justify the existance of Hurd. :-)

<rambling opinion>

That's fine. It's not like I'm on a rant about it. I just see it as
prolonging the day when opensource starts creating the stuff that MS
looks at and says, "Wow, that's what we should do!". And therefore bring
even more developers from outside the unix community to our side. Even
if they aren't necessarily open source. Sure, alot of people will scream
that if it isn't open source, screw it. I also like that philosophy
somewhat, but lfs'ers aren't the major market share people look to when
deciding to write for-profit software. :) They want the computer
illiterate majority.

</rambling opinion>

--
Archaic

--
The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to

- John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty", 1859

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org