One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 14:44:52 PDT 2002

On Thu, 13, Jun, 2002 at 11:12:56AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher spoke thus..
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 12:44:57PM -0500, Archaic wrote:
> > What the W3C publishes is basically irrelevant to the
> > world when it comes to what is out there. I'm sure page creators
> > (especially frontpage users) don't generally sit down and preuse the
> > standards to make sure they are conforming to the W3C. If it looks right
> > in IE, publish it!
>
> And that is terribly sad. I especially dislike sites
> composed of Flash-only. Those sites are limiting their
> potential audience by publishing browser-specific
> GUI garbage. Or, perhaps their audience doesn't consist
> of people who even _know_ what a text-only browser is.
>
> True, i can view it fine in Mozilla. But, why should i
> have to leave lynx to get information?

Timothy, I'm seriously considering quoting you on that :-)  It's
absolutely the same as the position I take.

My Dad is about to set up a website for the local ME group and was
asking my advice on how to do it (BTW, he only uses Windows 98 at home
on the desktop although the server at my parent's home uses LFS
[obviously!])

Dad's Q. What web design package should I use.
My A.  Notepad and the W3C Validator
Dad: Oh.

I'm going to browbeat him by making sure that I check the pages
validate :-)

Actually, that makes me a *slight* hypocrite as the LFS pages don't
fully validate.  It's a project on my TODO list to patch them so that
they do.  Anyone who fancies sending a patch to {,b}lfs-book though....
(But don't forget that the pages are constructed using SSI's so you need
to check the www module out of cvs to see the actual code).

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org