One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 11:51:37 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 02:24:27PM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:

Bah. Wrapping emails, freaking exchange server.

<snip i don't need much>
> Then, you are not human, and may not participate in human issues. :)

I had a yahoo IM account once with the screen name
iamhardlyhuman ;)

> You may not need those particular things, but once you
> get out of school, you will want a roof over your head.

Yes, and that can be covered by a part time job. It
doesn't have to be a nice roof, it can leak - just so
long as it doesn't leak on my computers.

> The basic neccessities of life, which are currently
> provided you free of charge, cost money. Sorry, you
> will have to dirty your hands handling SOME money,
> some day.

I know that. But the less, the better.

> You may choose to be poor, but that choice carries
> more consequences than your "freedom". For example,
> poor neighborhoods are typically crime-ridden. Is your
> life, strike that...

Hmm. I felt a flame coming on.

> is the life of your future children worth your
> principals?

It seems to me that you view money as something so wonderful
that it is worth forgetting your principles for. I don't.
I am hard headed, i won't give up my ethics for comfort.

> I am looking at the big picture.  As you pointed out,
> HURD's been around longer than Linux.  Linux has been
> around for 10 years, in computing terms, that's a
> thousand generations and it's still not viable.

Linux is not viable? Well, let's get rid of it then.
Starting Timix now... :)

> But, all that effort is being put into it.  Despite
> the fact the horse is dead, it still shows up at the track.

I like that that metaphor (is that the right word?).
Really though, do you know how long it took microsCoft
to develop an almost decent OS? I'll give you a hint:

           (infinity * 42)
infinity ^

> a) ignorance is not stupidity.

Da. I should have caught that one myself.

> b) my CHOICE of using Microsoft products does not cost
> me any freedom, nor that of my company, nor anyone else
> in the world.

You are absurdly wrong there.

> >> Believe it or not, the reason smart managers
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Oxymoron.

> Much less so than "smart student".

Bah. That was definitely a flame aimed at me.
Perhaps "experienced student" would be an oxymoron,
but not "smart student".

> >> Or they become managers.
>
> Or, they never entered reality.  I'm sorry, Timothy,
> you generally have some good arguments, but you need
> to come back in about 10 years.

This is just the way that i am. No amount of time will
change that. I will not conform to society's rules.

"The radical of one century is the conservative of
the next. The radical invents the views. When he
has worn them out, the conservative adopts them."
	-- Mark Twain

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org