One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 11:39:37 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:27:09AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> Crap, you caught that one. Xerox started with a printer.
> Billy boy started much later. I should have said "proprietary
> software wasn't the norm."

You would still be wrong. :) It has always been. Remember, there are
real-world environments and school environments. And even if school
research creates something used in the real world, that doesn't mean
that it doesn't modify into something still proprietary as a whole. For
instance, berkeley sockets. MS uses them (modified).

> > Freedom is also the freedom to choose software that restricts your
> > ability to do as you please with it.
>
> And i never said that people shouldn't have that freedom.
> I said they were stupid to use proprietary software, and
> i still think they are.
>
> > In other words, you have a closed source mind.
>
> I'm reading yours and Tony's opinions. That doesn't mean
> i agree with them. If i had a closed source mind, i
> would send your replies to /dev/null.

No, Bill Gates listens. He goes where he thinks people want to go. He
listens, yet he still imposes HIS opinions and desires. Luckily, he's
been clever enough with marketing to convince a vast majority that the
path he wants to go down is the path they want to go down. But
gullibility of the populace is for another thread! :)

> > I want a rewind button, myself.
>
> Huh? Why would you want to do that?
>
> Starting de-evolution now.... You are slime :)

Slime, eh? Perhaps you've never wished you could do something again. I
don't mean do something different, I mean do again, that for reasons
uncontrollable to you, you can't.

--
Archaic

--
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he
cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable

- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org