One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 11:15:36 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:57:21AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> I am a student. I can make enough money from part time
> work to sustain myself and my DSL connection. That's
> all i care about. I don't have the expenses which other
> people do, because i don't need Televisions, cellular
> phones, pagers, newspapers, cars, or vacations to be
> happy.

Kinda reminds me of my "Will Work For Bandwidth" t-shirt. :)

> Proprietary software didn't use to be the way of computing,
> not until Xerox and Billy boy started choking the world.

WHAT?!?! I remember a little something about a small little OS called
Unix or something.....hmmm.

> > So, that's the solution?  If you don't use free software,
> > you're stupid?
>
> That's the way i see it. If a person doesn't use free
> software, then they lose freedom. If a person is incapable
> of seeing freedom as greater than themselves, then i
> consider them to be ignorant.

Freedom is also the freedom to choose software that restricts your
ability to do as you please with it. The beauty of open source, IMO, is
not the ability to get it free and be free in your use of it, but in the
collective perspectives that are put into writing and maintaining it. In
other words, you have a closed source mind. (unless of course, you're
willing to see the viewpoints of others, rather than dismiss them as
stupid for using proprietary software.)

> Do you think evolution has a fast-forward button or
> something?

I want a rewind button, myself.

> > Yes.  And human beings who don't have the features
> > you need, either don't get hired, or they get fired.
>
> Or they become managers.

Will have to agree there! :)

--
Archaic

--
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he
cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable

- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org