One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 10:44:57 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:23:49AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> Standards are made by 3rd party organizations, not by
> monopolies.

That is an overly simplistic view. Who created the streaming media
standards? It was the people who created streaming media. It doesn't
matter who wrote the paper, it matters who writes the software. I'm not
saying it isn't done by bullying, it usually is. IE is the defacto
standard browser.  What the W3C publishes is basically irrelevant to the
world when it comes to what is out there. I'm sure page creators
(especially frontpage users) don't generally sit down and preuse the
standards to make sure they are conforming to the W3C. If it looks right
in IE, publish it!

> Read my quote again. I didn't say that GNU/Linux surpassed
> proprietary software in every way, but that it is growing,
> evolving, and progressing at an increadible speed, much
> faster than proprietary software is.

Where is HURD evolving? They are trying to write something that works,
not evolve it. It doesn't matter how fast they can create an OS and a
app. If that app already exists, they are not progressing. It's when
they go _beyond_ what has already been done that they shift from
catch-up to progress. Note: I'm using the term progress in the
comparison we are using here versus proprietary software). Sure,
bugfixes are progress. Just not progress towards something new (other
than less bugfixes). :)

> > Sad, but, these voluteers need to eat. How awesome would LFS be if Mark,
> > Marc, Ian, yourself, Gerard, etc., were paid to do nothing but this
> > everyday as a regular job?
>
> I would stop working on the project if that happened.
> I do this for fun. Making money ruins my fun.

Nice to be supported by others...wish I was. :P

--
Archaic

--
Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org