One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 10:23:49 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:40:29AM -0500, Archaic wrote:
> > Progress _is_ being made. HURD doesn't hold back Linux.
> > GNU/Linux is progressing faster than proprietary crapware
> > _ever_ could.
>
> Timothy, I'll stand beside you in an argument over the validity of open
> source all day. I believe in it and what it is accomplishing. However,
> on this point, you are mistaken. There is a reason that MS (and other
> proprietary companies) drive the computer world to new standards and
> abilities.

Standards are made by 3rd party organizations, not by
monopolies.

> It comes from a relative few coders, with huge budgets,
> working on one project as a close knit 9-5 team. It has been stated by
> top level GNU people (maybe even RMS) that while opensource does seem to
> advance at a rapid pace, it will always be playing catch-up. Whether you
> agree with that or not, it's certainly valid for right now.

Read my quote again. I didn't say that GNU/Linux surpassed
proprietary software in every way, but that it is growing,
evolving, and progressing at an increadible speed, much
faster than proprietary software is.

If microsCoft adds a "feature" to their OS, and it is a
feature which actually _has_ a good use, it will be some
time before the same feature can be added to free software.
This is mostly because proprietary software makers are in
the business of lies, deception, and secrets, just as any
other business is. In this sense, free software is playing
catch-up.

> People are
> still trying to get the unix variants to do what MS is already doing.
> Sad, but, these voluteers need to eat. How awesome would LFS be if Mark,
> Marc, Ian, yourself, Gerard, etc., were paid to do nothing but this
> everyday as a regular job?

I would stop working on the project if that happened.
I do this for fun. Making money ruins my fun.

> Of course, you can always discount Joe Shmoe as an idiot! :)

I try not to do that. I try to listen to other peoples'
opinions before i deem them incapable of thought :)

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org