One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Tony Karakashian tkarakashian at rochestermidland.com
Thu Jun 13 10:09:18 PDT 2002


>> Woh, dude. Ever heard of wrapping your text?

Wraps fine for me, Dude.

>> I program because it is fun. 

Great, I hope whoever is supporting you financially continues to do so while you have fun.

>> Others program to rid the world the world of evil proprietary crapware. And, others program to make a positive impact on >> the world. We're all volunteers, each with a different reason for volunteering.

That's great.  We'll skip the independantly wealthy, such as yourself, who don't need to code to earn a living and concentrate on those making a positive impact rid the world of proprietary software....it's never going to happen unless you provide people with the software they NEED, not WANT.  If your software doesn't do what I want it to do, and I have to pay for some that does...guess what?  I'm not using your software.

>> Progress _is_ being made. HURD doesn't hold back Linux. 

Yes, it does.  As long as coding hours are spent on the HURD, instead of Linux, Linux isn't progressing as fast as it could.  

>>> Believe it or not, computers serve as their primary purpose for conducting businesses.

>> I disagree. I think that computers have more uses than potatos. Non-business environments, such as schools and
>> private homes, have more computers than businesses do.

You may disagree, however, you would still be wrong.  If you pie-charted all the processing in the world, businesses would win out.  They do have many uses, but they were invented to increase productivity of businesses.  Having fun evolved later.

>> The smart businesses will choose free software. If it is too difficult for their feeble minded managers to use, then there >> are plenty of businesses now which exist for the sole purpose of brining free software into the "business world".

So, that's the solution?  If you don't use free software, you're stupid?  Great attitude, it'll get you far...Believe it or not, the reason smart managers don't choose free software is it doesn't fit their needs.  Unlike the independantly wealthy, time is money.  If it costs $10,000 to install, configure and distribute a service to my users by using proprietary software, and it costs me $100,000 to re-write, install, configue and distribute free software to my users, I would be stupid to choose the free version.  I'm not saying that's the case of all free software, but, for example, it's true of office suites and ERP database systems.

>>> This theory has been completely disproven by the current state of the Open Source movement.

>> Seems like the free software movement is in great shape to me.

The movement is ok, it's the software that's behind.

>> Well, it sure _seems_ like you are against alternatives. I think that alternatives better the world.

Again, you would be wrong.  I'm all for alternatives, but there needs to be a point when one says, "Enough is enough".  Following your survival of the fittest software theory, we should have only one POSIX-type OS, but that's still not the case.  There still isn't even one window manager, yet.  How long should the world wait?

>>> Some have the features you need,  some do not.

>> Just like human beings, huh?

Yes.  And human beings who don't have the features you need, either don't get hired, or they get fired.

>> No one is forcing you to reboot into 5 OSs. I think that G's slogan would go well here :)

I consider Gerard to be a very intellegent person.  His slogan, however, is one of the most obnoxious, self-centered, dumbass things I've ever read.  Not one tool can fix every problem.  It's interesting that you would believe that, since you're so fond of alternatives.

-T
-- 
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe lfs-chat' in the subject header of the message



More information about the lfs-chat mailing list