One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 09:40:29 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:13:58AM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:

> > If you're doing it to provide software, albeit free,
> > to the world, then some progress needs to be made.
>
> Progress _is_ being made. HURD doesn't hold back Linux.
> GNU/Linux is progressing faster than proprietary crapware
> _ever_ could.

Timothy, I'll stand beside you in an argument over the validity of open
source all day. I believe in it and what it is accomplishing. However,
on this point, you are mistaken. There is a reason that MS (and other
proprietary companies) drive the computer world to new standards and
abilities. It comes from a relative few coders, with huge budgets,
working on one project as a close knit 9-5 team. It has been stated by
top level GNU people (maybe even RMS) that while opensource does seem to
advance at a rapid pace, it will always be playing catch-up. Whether you
agree with that or not, it's certainly valid for right now. People are
still trying to get the unix variants to do what MS is already doing.
Sad, but, these voluteers need to eat. How awesome would LFS be if Mark,
Marc, Ian, yourself, Gerard, etc., were paid to do nothing but this
everyday as a regular job? I for one would love it, however the salaries
would probably require that I pay for this project (unless they were
heavily sponsored by others who had a stake in it).

Here's where the beauty of the opensource model comes in...say Joe Shmoe
(who only has enough technical skills to play games with his computer)
looks at the LFS book and says, "Hey, why isn't this done like that?".
As maintainers, you may look at it and slap yourselves wondering why you
overlooked something seemingly trivial and can then view it with another
perspective, possibly changing the way something was done. That doesn't
happen in closed source, and it's truly the marquee reason I prefer
open source.

Of course, you can always discount Joe Shmoe as an idiot! :)

--
Archaic

--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless

- H.L. Mencken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org