One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 09:13:58 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:54:43AM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:

Woh, dude. Ever heard of wrapping your text?

> Do you want people to use the software, or are you
> doing it entirely for your benefit (not necessarily
> YOU per se, but take as an example the HURD developers)?

Different developers have different reasons. I program
because it is fun. Others program to rid the world the
world of evil proprietary crapware. And, others program
to make a positive impact on the world. We're all volunteers,
each with a different reason for volunteering.

> If you're doing it to provide software, albeit free,
> to the world, then some progress needs to be made.

Progress _is_ being made. HURD doesn't hold back Linux.
GNU/Linux is progressing faster than proprietary crapware
_ever_ could.

> Believe it or not, computers serve as their primary
> purpose for conducting businesses.

I disagree. I think that computers have more uses than
potatos. Non-business environments, such as schools and
private homes, have more computers than businesses do.

> If you want businesses to use your software, in place
> of a certain Redmond-based company's, your going to
> have to make it work the way businesses want.

The smart businesses will choose free software. If it
is too difficult for their feeble minded managers to
use, then there are plenty of businesses now which exist
for the sole purpose of brining free software into the
"business world".

<snip survival of the fittest>
> This theory has been completely disproven by the
> current state of the Open Source movement.

Seems like the free software movement is in great
shape to me.

> There's a dozen choices in OSes.  Within those choices,
> there may be dozens of choices for each individual software
> package you want to run.

Well, it sure _seems_ like you are against alternatives.
I think that alternatives better the world.

> Some have the features you need,
> some do not.

Just like human beings, huh?

> Should the world be forced to reboot into 5
> different OSes just to get all the features they want?

No one is forcing you to reboot into 5 OSs. I think that
G's slogan would go well here :)

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org