One more thing... (was Re: Wondering about Ncurses instructions)

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 13 08:45:23 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:17:20AM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:
> >> I hope that development on HURD continues, but i don't
> >> think it stands a chance against Linux.

> Then why?  Why not move all that programming effort over to
> Linux?  Choices are nice, but duplication of effort just slows
> down progress.

These aren't businesses making software, they are volunteers.
Progress for the sake of progress is bullshit. These volunteers
make programs because it gives them a high, because they love
doing it.

There are lots of overlapping projects out there which result
in the duplication of work. But, i think that this has positive
impacts which only competition can create. Eventually, one
program becomes more "fit" for survival and wins out. I want
development of HURD to continue because i want there to be
competition in the free software world. I don't think that
HURD stands a chance against Linux, but that doesn't mean it
serves no purpose.

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org