Music

Robert Ian Smit robian at wanadoo.nl
Thu Jun 13 01:13:50 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:10:14PM -0700, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> I was just thinking about the history of the human race,
> and trying to decide on what our greatest accomplishment
> has been. We have certainly done a lot of interesting
> things, rather slowly IMO.
>
> But, i think our greatest work is not one of technology,
> science, or mathematics. I think it is music, and i just
> wanted to share that with you.

Music is certainly one of the most beautiful things I know.

However is it really an achievement in and of itself? I can enjoy
music without having any understanding of what the musician does.

I believe our ability to enjoy music stems from something that we
have lost touch with through evolution: we love it we but don't know
why. I think I can explain my love for women better than my love for
music.

For me the most quintessential quality of humans is related to
thought, conception and amazement. I believe all other things great or small
can be understood by that notion.

Mozart, a composer I truly love and admire, would not be the Mozart
without us "lower" beings.

So I share the idea behind your message. It's just that I don't
value achievements that much. What is achieved is in the past, I
want to look ahead. Having said that, I know you can only love
something that already exists and as such is part of the past.

Me checking mailing-list title (lfs-CHAT); shrug; send.

Bob