vim and email?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Sat Jun 8 12:46:40 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:59:52PM -0700, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> * Björn Lindberg wrote:
>
> > And who do you think will in the end pay extra if the
> > provider's costs go up?
>
> Good question. It took some time to think about it.
>
> In the begining such offers may be expensive, sure. But
> there're two facts which make the end-user's price for
> highspeed services decrease by the time.

You are forgetting one thing. The power to compete. In my area there is
one cable service providing one cable internet service. I have no
choice. They know this. They don't drop prices except in an introductory
new customer period. This is the norm all throughout the US. Then, once
they have you, knowing fully well that very few will drop back down to
dial-up after tasting broadband, they hike the rates. Companies are
ruthless these days. It's all about the money they make. Do you really
think that once they have paid for their infrastructure, their prices
will drop? Hell, no. If they thought they could successfully market $1
bills for $10, they'd be doing it. Just look at ole' Billy-boy. His cost
per packaged box is several times lower now then when he first started.
More than enough to offset inflation. Yet with all that, his products
still increase in price. Why? Because people will buy it.

--
Archaic

--
All forms of government are pernicious, including good government.

- Edward Abbey

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org