Was Collecting SBUs now, Fast compile engines

Björn Lindberg d95-bli.no at spam.nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 7 13:16:02 PDT 2002

Ian Molton wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:08:25 +0100
> Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Is an ASUS A7V333 worth the extra for the M/B and memory.  What sort
> > of increase would it give for compiling
>
> Sorry, missed yor second question...
>
> I doubt the extra RAM bandwidth would be noticed.
>
> compiling is HEAVILY dependant on HDD bandwidth and cache performance.
> RAM bandwidth is tertiary.

(Sorry, I forgot to mention this in my other post.)

IMO, compiling is mainly dependent on processor speed and cache
size/speed as Ian says. Next comes RAM bandwidth, and lastly HDD
performance. The last part is "proven" by the fact that the HDD is
usually not working very hard at all during compiles, while the CPU is.
:-)

Björn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org