Was Collecting SBUs now, Fast compile engines

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Fri Jun 7 11:21:22 PDT 2002

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:08:25 +0100
Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:

> Is an ASUS A7V333 worth the extra for the M/B and memory.  What sort
> of increase would it give for compiling

Sorry, missed yor second question...

I doubt the extra RAM bandwidth would be noticed.

compiling is HEAVILY dependant on HDD bandwidth and cache performance.
RAM bandwidth is tertiary.

this is 'proven' by looking at my and gerards machines.

the P4 /should/ have more RAM bandwidth than my AthlonXP 1800, but my
Athlon is the quicker. (just), despite this.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org