vim and email?

Rocco Rutte s1118644 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Jun 6 01:05:40 PDT 2002

* Paulo Andre' wrote:
> Traffic and bandwidth are neither free nor infinite, so it
> upsets me a great deal that people send HTML email - most
> folks are simply unaware of all this wasting, I unfortunately
> deal with it on a dayily basis.

But as always there's also another point of view.

I hope that the number of people sending HTML mail grows to
a rate of about 50-60 percent and even higher. If wasting
bandwith by HTML mail was the ordinary way of communication
there would be much more bandwith for plaintext lovers like
me. Of course, it will only work as long as you don't have
to deal with it. Filters are one answer, of course, but you
cannot reliably catch broken MIME messages with them.

Another point is that there has to be a need for more
bandwith to make ISPs provide more bandwith under similar
pricing conditions. That means, if you don't need that much
you maybe save money. That's what I see as a result of file-
sharing.

That's my opinion from the customers point of view because I
pay per time unit and not per traffic. Providers and
companies pay per traffic and therefore lose.

As said, I prefer plaintext but it's somehow unflexible. A
format to make the mail look as I want easily was nice. XML
is not the answer since the parsers I've seen are much too
slow.

Cheers, Rocco
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org