English language

Don Smith don_smith at att.net
Wed Jun 5 14:21:05 PDT 2002

Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

<snip>

> Not knowing any other languages, I rely on what has been stated by
> "experts" I have read in the past as to the strengths of English as
> compared to others. The "simple and precise" nature is *often* only
> achievable when "more powerful" words (meaning less common) are used.
> Since the nature of the world is to "dumb down" the spoken and written
> word, it becomes more difficult to be simple and precise, in some
> instances.

And for those of us who do know and use those words, we have to give up
because so many people haven't heard them. Then one must repeat oneself
anyway with the long string of simpler words. I don't believe people are
any dumber now, I think, um... OK, public schools rant ("when I was in
school..." ) coming on so I'll stop now.

One thing good about the internet; kids are reading more in chat rooms
and such, though I hope they'll learn dudes is not spelled d00dz.

This really should be moved to lfs.chat now, so I will.

Don
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org