windows haters (repost for albert wagner)

R. Bosch remy.bosch at hccnet.nl
Sun Jun 2 17:58:36 PDT 2002

On Sunday 02 June 2002 22:13, you wrote:
> the latest ARM hardware to run RISC OS is really old, but Microdigital
> are building a new machine 'Omega' which looks like it;ll be nice,
> despite some oddball design choices...

I had the plessure to work at a store where they sold Acorn machines, and
provided service for them. I was very much impressed on the speed of the
machines... this around the end of 2000 when I appenteced there. There was
somekind of clock-problem about the memory. The solution was as simple as
removing an smd-condensator.
I also learned that the interface was designed from the beginning to be as
ergonomic as possible. Reducing the chance of getting RSI ! I read a paper of
an previous worker/student who did research on this topic.

Around the same time I got interrested about a project from the TUDelft in
Holland where they where working on a LART. This war an ARM based computer
runing a Linux distro Debian. Info is at www.lart.tudelft.nl. This cought my
eye because I was from origine an electronic student. I'm waiting till it's
ready, I just can run it without worrying about hardwarefaults ;-)

Just think of the idea that you can have your favorite distro in your bag, on
hardware YOU control in terms of... well... everything ;-)

Or run it as server you don't hear and doesn't use Megawatts of power....

Yes, I too have fallen for the charm of ARM. Even though I love the ibookII, I
have't got the funding's yet... :-(

One confession:
I'm luring at the Crusoe from transmeta.... for a sub-notebook....

--
Remy

| Loves Linux (LFS 3.*). Hates a VERY BIG company.           |
| I was born at some time at some place in some country :-P  |

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org