windows haters (repost for albert wagner)

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sun Jun 2 10:01:44 PDT 2002

On Sunday 02 June 2002 07:36 am, you wrote:
> Albert Wagner wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 June 2002 04:43 am, you wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > albert: thanks for joining us ;-), i still cant remember why you asked
> > > me to repost btw!
> >
> > Just thought it best that we move to lfs-chat with this.
>
> Yes, and a good idea, that.
>
> Here's my Windows story. Having worked in Unix for many years, and
> successfully avoiding windows during that time, I went with a small
> company that bought just one Sun Workstation (for building the product)
> and several NT boxes for everything else. A friend of mine who changed
> jobs with me, said he had never known I could swear like that! Mostly it
> was because if I didn't reboot my NT box every day, it would hang right
> near the end of some very large changes I had just done. Turns out there
> were lots of memory leaks and rebooting was the only way to get the
> memory back.
>
> At my most recent job, I only had to reboot once a week! Progress.
>
> The other main cause of swearing was trying to solve the "Where's that
> menu option now?" puzzle MS thoughfully supplied with every update of
> their products.
>
> Don

You have highlighted the fact that when discussing the pros and cons of MS
against other OSes, particularly *ix, there are, at least, two separate
issues:

(1)  The business practices of MS
(2)  The quality of Windows as an OS

So far, I have only commented on point #1.  I'm not sure I am qualified to
comment on point #2, even though I have, like you, lots of anecdotal
evidence.  It would really be interesting to have some links to real
unbiased studies of point #2.

--
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org