windows haters (repost for albert wagner)

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sat Jun 1 21:28:14 PDT 2002

Hi, Tony.

I'm almost speechless.

On Saturday 01 June 2002 09:43 pm, you wrote:
<snip>
> The problem, in my experience and HO, is the majority of IT people just
> don't have a clue about business in general.  MS' business practices are
> absolutely no different than those of any company you're working for.
> The problems are:  a) they make a product you don't like and b) you don't
> understand the law or how business works.

Actually, I'm unemployed at the moment.  But for thirty years in DP (That's
what we called it then; IT is a new acronym), I worked for a lot of
companies.  Some were crooks, some weren't.

You speak of business as if it were some abstraction, unconnected to the
lives of real people and above all concerns of morality.  Yes, MS is just
like many companies in the world today:
(1) Chemical companies that lie about careless and criminal handling of known
biohazards
(2) Pharmaceutical companies the lie about known and dangerous drug side
effects
(3) Productless companies based on "speculation" and lies, like Enron.
and many more.  What they all have in common is unbridled greed.  Now, don't
misunderstand:  I am not against a fair profit based on value added.  I am
against confusing, purposely obfuscating, the difference between the "law"
and morality.  The law today is a thing totally divorced from fairness.  The
law today is a product of big money and a tool of big money.

You can't say that I "don't understand the the law or how business works," as
if I am some ignorant, illiterate laborer who drinks away my weekly paycheck
on Friday night.  The implication of your remark is that you DO understand
how it all works, and that understanding allows you to condescend to me.  If
your rationale were carried to its logical conclusion, then the country is in
perfectly good hands run, as it is, by lawyers and Harvard MBAs.

Dog-eat-dog capitalism, as practiced so often today, will yet prove Marx
right.  You see, I know something that you don't:  winning a game fairly is
profoundly different from winning at any cost.  And I don't have to be a
lawyer nor an accountant to understand that.

"For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to every
one that fair is foul and foul is fair;  for foul is useful and fair is not.
Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still.
For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into
daylight."  -- Lord Keynes
<snip>

--
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org