Odd 'homebrew' package management system?

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 08:25:09 PDT 2002

James Drabb wrote:

>How does this system handle things like libpng?
>If you installed the old version of libpng and then also want
>the new version of libpng.  Would you have two different users?
>If not then the new version of libpng will overwrite the old
>libpng.h file.  Also, say you have two users libpng1 and libpng2.
>What happens when you try to install the new libpng as libpng2
>and it tries to overwrite libpng.h owned by user libpng1?

I generally don't keep multiple versions of the same library (only the
latest version), unless it is absolutely neccessary. In the cases where
it is required (e.g. gtk 1 and 2), the package maintainers are smart
enough to make the installations so that they coexist. I just use the
same user, so gtk 1 and 2 are both installed as user and group gtk.
Haven't had problems with it till now, have been using it for the past 6
months.

In the case of libpng1 and libpng2 you mentioned, if I need both libpng1
and libpng2, I install both as user libpng and install libpng1 before
libpng2. If I happen to compile libpng1 at any time, I also compile
libpng2 after that. So generally the headers always belong to the latest
version if they overwrite each other.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377