Odd 'homebrew' package management system?

Dan Stone dan at headzofstate.com
Sat Jul 20 18:16:25 PDT 2002

Hiya,

 So I've been running an LFS system for some months now, and have been
considering creating a /usr/installed directory, wherein all new programs get
installed, and then symlinked to the appropriate places (i.e., everything in
/usr/installed/(program)/bin gets symlinked to /usr/bin, etc.), as a simple
package management system in lieu of things like RPM or apt-get...would there
be any problems that anyone can think of in doing this?  It seems to me that
as long as the symlinks point to the right places, everything should work out
fine...any comments?  Am I nuts? =)

~D. A. Stone
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org