[lfs-book] md5sum - 8.1 chapter 3

Zura Kutchava zkutch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 03:05:00 PST 2017

Dear Friends,

I wrote this letter second time, sorry, if I am using wrong mail. I'll be grateful if somebody tell me to whom write about.

Started with version 8.1 and came to chapter 3 I wrote down little script (see attachment download_packages.sh) to facilitate downloading and checking packages. Sure everybody know about md5 checksum outdating, so I tried to avoid it. Everywhere where I found it possible I change it to gpg veryfing or sha256 checksum. I wrote to few tenth of package developers about helping me and almost all of them kindly did it. I couldn't write script without their help and want to thank them once again. Script contain in comments part of mainteners, who sent me answers and hints. Neverheless some packages veryfing still uses md5 and my aim is to avoid it at all.

I'll be grateful for all remarks/comments.

Regards,
Zura