[lfs-book] [LFS Trac] #4042: grub-2.02 (was: grub-2.02~rc2)
trac at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 26 10:03:27 PDT 2017
Reporter: renodr | Owner: lfs-book@…
Type: task | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone: 8.1
Component: Book | Version: SVN
Severity: normal | Resolution:
> New release candidate.
After five years, a new version.
New in 2.02:
* New/improved filesystem and disk support:
* Big-endian UFS1.
* Experimental 64-bit ext2 support.
* Various fixes for non-512-byte sector devices.
* New `proc' filesystem framework, used by LUKS disks.
* Fix DM-RAID partition handling.
* New `nativedisk' command to switch from firmware to native disk
* Compressed HFS+.
* DragonFly BSD labels.
* CBFS (coreboot).
* Handle partitioned LVM properly.
* Use LVM UUIDs whenever possible.
* GPT PReP.
* New `progress' module that shows progress information while reading
* ZFS features support.
* ZFS LZ4 support.
* XFS V5 format support.
* LVM RAID1 support.
* New/improved terminal and video support:
* Monochrome text (matching `hercules' in GRUB Legacy).
* Morse code output using system speaker.
* `spkmodem' output (simple data protocol using system speaker).
* Handle Japanese special keys.
* coreboot framebuffer.
* Serial on ARC.
* Native vt100 handling for grub-emu, replacing the use of the curses
* New gfxmenu options for terminal window positioning, theme background
image handling, and scrollbar padding, plus `item_pixmap_style' and
* Support several more image types (paletted and greyscale).
* Boot protocol improvements:
* Support Apple FAT binaries on non-Apple platforms.
* Improve FreeDOS direct loading support compatibility.
* Enable `linux16' on all x86 platforms, not just BIOS.
* New TrueCrypt ISO loader.
* multiboot2 boot-services EFI specification.
* multiboot2 EFI memory map specification.
* multiboot2 full-file specfication.
* New/improved network support:
* New variables `net_default_*' containing properties of the default
* Autoload `http' and `tftp' modules if necessary.
* Improve TFTP robustness.
* Parse `nd' disk names in GRUB Legacy configuration files.
* Issue separate DNS queries for IPv4 and IPv6.
* Support IPv6 Router Advertisement to configure default router.
* New variable net_<interface>_next_server containing next server
from BOOTP reply.
* Coreboot improvements:
* CBFS support both in on-disk images (loopback) and flash.
* Ability to launch another payload from flash or disk
* Coreboot framebuffer
* CBMEMC support (both logging and inspecting logs)
* Command for inspecting coreboot timestamps (`coreboot_boottime').
* Command for inspecting coreboot tables (`lscoreboot').
* New target default_payload.elf.
* Increased maximal core size.
* Prefer pmtimer for TSC calibration.
* New/improved platform support:
* New `efifwsetup' and `lsefi' commands on EFI platforms.
* New `cmosdump' and `cmosset' commands on platforms with CMOS support.
* New command `pcidump' for PCI platforms.
* Improve opcode parsing in ACPI halt implementation.
* Use the TSC as a possible time source on i386-ieee1275.
* Merge PowerPC grub-mkrescue implementation with the common one.
* Support grub-mkrescue on i386-ieee1275, sparc64, bootinfo machines
as pSeries, and mips-arc.
* Make grub-mkrescue better support Apple Intel Macs on CD.
* Enable GRUB Legacy configuration file parsing on EFI.
* Support halt for Loongson 2E.
* ARM U-Boot and EFI ports.
* Reorganise platform-dependent code in utilities to avoid #ifdef mess.
* AROS and Haiku support for userspace utilities.
* Xen PV port.
* Fix EFI stack alignment.
* ARM64 EFI port.
* On Linux, read partition start offsets from sysfs if possible.
* New grub-macbless utility, and better integration with Mac firmware in
* Support Yeeloong 3A.
* Add `cpuid --pae' option to detect Physical Address Extension on x86.
* Support for USB debug dongles.
* Support for *-emu on all platforms (previously only i386/x86_64
* Support *-emu on Windows.
* New platform `none' which builds only user level utilities. This is
default if target CPU is not supported.
* Support for booting little-endian Linux kernel on powerpc.
* Support network boot with Oracle sun4v vnet devices.
* Added SAS disks to the IEEE 1275 Open Firmware device list.
* Try multiple methods for TSC (timestamp counter) calibration - PIT,
EFI Stall. If everything fails, use hardcoded frequency 800MHz.
* Support Hyper-V Gen2 platforms which lack PIT for TSC calibration.
* Map UEFI Persistent Memory to E820 persistent memory.
* New Xen loader on ARM64.
* Respect alignment requirement for block device IO buffers on EFI.
* Add optional facility to enforce that all files read by the core image
from disk have a valid detached digital signature.
* Avoid costly division operations in many places.
* New boot time analysis framework (`./configure --enable-boot-time').
* Initialise USB ports in parallel.
* New `testspeed' command to test file read speed.
* Speed-up gfxterm by storing intermediate results in more compact
* Lazy LVM/mdraid scan.
* Disk hints.
* New `eval' and `tr' commands.
* grub-script-check fails on scripts containing no commands.
* Installation and other utility improvements:
* Add option to compress files on installation or image creation.
* Using grub-reboot no longer requires setting `GRUB_DEFAULT=saved'.
* Support probing EFI System Partition (requires os-prober >= 1.58).
* Fix inconsistent use of `GRUB_CRYPTODISK_ENABLE' and
`GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK'; the latter is now used consistently.
* grub-mount handles symbolic links to directories.
* Support disabling submenus with `GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU' configuration
* grub-install, grub-mknetdir, grub-mkrescue, and grub-mkstandalone
rewritten in C. They should now work in supported non-Unix-like
* Native mingw support.
* Ability to install on EFI under windows.
* Reorganise timeout handling using new `timeout_style' environment
variable and `GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE' configuration key for grub-mkconfig.
Menu hotkeys pressed during a hidden timeout now boot the
menu entry immediately.
* New `file' command and grub-file utility to check file types.
* New syslinux configuration file parser.
* Set menu entry class to primary OS name returned by os-prober to
OS specific icon.
* On Linux x86 detect EFI word size in grub-install and automatically
correct platform (x86_64-efi or i386-efi) to install. Requires Linux
4.0 or higher.
* Build system:
* Remove all uses of nested functions; GRUB no longer requires an
* Fix documentation build with Texinfo >= 5.1.
* More robust and documented cross-compiling support.
* Partial clang support for some platforms (experimental).
* Partial mingw64 x86_64-efi compile support (highly experimental).
* Partial mingw32 i386-* (other than already present i386-pc)
compile support (highly experimental).
* Support for grub-mkpasswd on Windows.
* Eliminate the use of AutoGen. This allowed some performance
improvements to the build system.
* Remove variable length arrays.
* OpenBSD compile and tools support (NetBSD and FreeBSD were already
* Fix build with FreeType >= 2.5.1.
* Make gentpl.py compatible with Python 3. It now requires at least
* modinfo.sh contains build information now.
* Added many new tests to improve robustness.
* Target is built without libgcc now. Necessary builtins are
directly. This removes requirement for target-specific runtime on
* emu libusb support removed (was broken and unmaintained).
* powerpc64le compile support.
* Use fixed timestamp when generating GRUB image for reproducible
* Verify at build time that modules contain only supported relocations
structure matches what boot-time module loader expects.
* Do not require fonts on powerpc-ieee1275.
* Revision control moved to git.
Comment (by bdubbs@…):
Built in basic LFS chroot environment using current instructions:
GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
With devmapper support: No (need libdevmapper header)
With memory debugging: No
With disk cache statistics: No
With boot time statistics: No
efiemu runtime: No (explicitly disabled)
grub-mkfont: No (need freetype2 library)
grub-mount: No (need FUSE library)
starfield theme: No (No build-time grub-mkfont)
With libzfs support: No (need zfs library)
Build-time grub-mkfont: No (need freetype2 library)
Without unifont (no build-time grub-mkfont)
With liblzma from -llzma (support for XZ-compressed mips images)
Current instructions seem to work, but I have not yet tested grub-install
directly, however I did have /boot bind mounted to /mnt/lfs/boot so
/boot/grub files (but not grub.cfg) were overwritten.
Man pages are not installed because help2man is not available in chroot.
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/4042#comment:4>
LFS Trac <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/>
Linux From Scratch: Your Distro, Your Rules.
More information about the lfs-book