[lfs-book] r11226 - in trunk/BOOK: . chapter01 chapter06

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Mon Apr 24 11:30:35 PDT 2017

> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:04:53 -0500
> akhiezer wrote:
> >> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> >> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:01:27 -0500

> > [...]
> >> /var/lib/lfs/dbg/usr/lib/<filename> is a little long but we will consider
> >> inserting lib/lfs after /var.
> >

> > On reflection, /var/... is probably not right, as it's not really
> > dynamic/'variable-state' info (cf e.g. /var/lib/tripwire/report/) :
> > probly, and simply, one of /{,usr{,/local}}/lib*/lfs/...... is most
> > appropriate, at least re FHS.

It's the nature of the files that was being based-on:
----
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch05.html#purpose31
--
"5.1. Purpose

   /var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
   files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
   files. [...]"
----

> Some directories in /var are required/reserved by FHS, but there is
> nothing that says you can't have a custom directory.
>
> http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch05s02.html

Ref: (ibid):
====
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch05.html#purpose31
==
"5.1. Purpose

   [...] Applications must generally not add directories to the top
   level of /var. Such directories should only be added if they have
   some system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS
   mailing list."
====
( - the whole of the two sentences).

akh