[LFS Trac] #2178: ifcfg script (package IPRoute2) needs arping and rdisc to work properly, but these applications are not in the LFS

LFS Trac trac at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 8 10:06:38 PDT 2008

#2178: ifcfg script (package IPRoute2) needs arping and rdisc to work properly,
but these applications are not in the LFS
 Reporter:  gabriel  |        Owner:  bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org
     Type:  defect   |       Status:  assigned
Changes (by bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org):

  * owner:  lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org => bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org
  * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 I'm not sure how to handle this.  The arping and rdisc programs are in a
 package iputils-ss020927.tar.gz (118K 27-Sep-2002).  This package also
 provides sevaral other utilities: clockdiff, ipg, ping, ping6, rarpd,
 tftpd, tracepath, tracepath6, and traceroute6.

 In my opinion, the ping in iputils is superior to the one in inetutils.

 This is an LFS ticket, but iputils would need to go into BLFS, probably in
 System Utilities.

 Building iputils, the Makefile says it requires the kernel source, but it
 doesn't use it.

 We could put a comment in IPRoute2 that the ifcfg script requires arping
 and rdisc from the iputils package and a link (either to the iputils
 source or BLFS).

 Comments?

--
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2178#comment:4>