[LFS Trac] #2212: Perl missing from version-check.sh

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 08:45:12 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas
> <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:

>> And I thought, you disliked perl. :)
>
> In many ways! But actually it's just the packaging of perl that makes
> me angry. The actual language has its moments.

 From a software engineering viewpoint, I don't like perl and much prefer php or
python as a scripting language.  In perl there is far too much "geeky" stuff.
For instance, what is the meaning of $1.  It changes based on the context.  That
makes it easy to misinterpret the code.  Also using different prefixes for
hashes, variables, and arrays makes reading code for the non expert harder.

Perl can be considered expert-friendly and that isn't a compliment.

   -- Bruce