2.4 branch

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 28 15:19:22 PST 2006

BTW..

The 2.4-branch is missing the -fpie -pie stuff for now to deal with toolchain
test suites. When I get them to pass I'll add the -pie -fpie, using the
hardened-specs header like in -unstable. I'm pretty much there; the Glibc
failures probably won't get better (there are 4), but they could use a
submission to Glibc bugzilla to verify the failures are known with
linuxthreads, and possibly fixed correctly. Binutils tests pass completely. I
have 1 patch from gcc-cvs which gets GCC's test suite to pass completely
(bugs with SSE), including 2 unexpected passes for a bonus. I have 3 more
patches, PR15068, PR18300, and PR15666, from gcc-cvs which I also plan to
include. Based on a good toolchain all other package's test suites should
pass.

HLFS, and LFS, both seriously need a list of kernel modules and drivers
needed, on the host system, to pass the Glibc test suite. The SysV module,
for example, is needed to pass the Glibc test suite. The Real Time Clock
(RTC) module is another. Ideally we shouldn't need the "-k" Make option for
any test suites, and they should return true so &&'s will work.

It also seems to me that Bison and Flex can be dropped from chapter 5. With
Util-linux I haven't figured out what needs the 'more' program.. but I want
to use /sbin/nologin for user 'nobody' (from the Utils-linux patch), and the
user 'nobody' when running test suites for Coreutils and Bash. The 'nologin'
program does not have to be patched into Util-linux, but instead could be
added immediately before Coreutils in chapter 6.

robert