removal scripts thoughts

DHAJOGLO DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu
Tue Nov 14 09:19:37 PST 2006

Hi all,
   I just started a new build of hlfs (20061016).  I'm working with a student who wants a hardened linux for CDCs (cyber defense competitions). Typically, when building these systems for the CDC, after they are stable, they strip the system bare.  Since hlfs is built with sources, a manual removal would be necessary.  For gcc in particular, would it be correct to simply remove the installed programs/libraries listed in the contents: c++, cc (link to gcc), cpp, g++, gcc, gccbug, and gcov, libgcc.a, libgcc_eh.a, libgcc_s.so, libstdc++.[a,so], and libsupc++.a?  Obviously, these tools are needed to build anything for the system, but a second, development system can be used for building while a production system could be stripped of any thing that can be used against it.

Further to this, would it be advantageous for the hlfs project to have removal scripts for various packages that are optional in this respect?

Regards,
-dave