Expired and Outdated hints.

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Wed Jun 18 14:04:07 PDT 2003

Howdy ya'll.  I'm not sure what the policy is on hints.  Should they
match up with the latest book or stay indefinately?  I was going through
the hints index, looking for the syslog-ng hint. That list is _long_! I
noticed that there are several hints that are outdated with the release
of LFS 4.1 and BLFS 1.0 or that are (seemingly) duplicates of other
hints.  I would think that these works should be moved to hints/old/ or
combined with their counterparts. Keep in mind, it's only a suggestion,
so any comments would be nice.  Here is a quick list of moves/changes
that caught my attention imediately, and reasons for each:

BOOTING--

3 boot cd hints -- why three?  I don't do boot CDs so I really can't
comment on them, but do we really need three of them?  Any of them
outdated in any major way, or can the authors be contacted and maybe
find a happy medium to combine them?

2 grub hints -- yes I know one is for a rescue boot floppy, but that
could be combined with the grub hint.  Of course, with grub going into
the next lfs release, maybe this is a bad idea.

"Lilo beautified" and "The LFS bootlogo hint" look to be the same thing
on first glance.  "Lil beautified" deals with the current version of
lilo in LFS-4.1, while "The LFS bootlogo hint" deals with patching up
lilo-21.x to work (outdated by the book version), should be retired to old.

EDITORS--

Some of these covered in BLFS.  Move to old?  Combine "Tex and LYX" with
the LYX one, or move "TEX and LYX" to old.

GRAPHICAL

KDE and Gnome hints to old?  Maybe, but they do deal with some
interesting tidbits not in the BLFS book.  Other WMs?

MULTIMEDIA--

ALSA can probably go now, but it does contain some good info yet when
using timidity (which is not in BLFS).

NETWORK-RELATED--

DHCP Server is now covered in BLFS.

DSL Router and Masuerading could probably be combined and then split to
separate out the PPPOE setup which could then be combined with the PPPOE
hint.  Are the authors still watching?

There are 2 ISDN hints (combine).

OpenSSH is in BLFS

Portmap is covered by BLFS

Samba is coverd by BLFS, but there are a couple of intersting security
bits in the hint.

xinetd BLFS

OTHERS--

4 devfs hints (each has good/needed bits and peices) can they be combined?

J2SDK and OOo are covered in BLFS, but I think still contain references
to the hints...Tush?

Resoving dependacies seems to me it could go, but i really didn't see
the purpose for it (personally).  The idea is good, but the dependacies
in the BLFS book seem to solve this (was there a dependacy problem at
some time?).

USBMouse could probably be moved to old if we made mention of the most
common device files in BLFS.

Thats as far as I got, but figured I'd share and see what everyone else
thinks.

DJ Lucas

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org