Reorganization of hints

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 17 22:50:43 PDT 2003

[Replies only to hints at linuxfromscratch.org]

Now that the patches project details have been finalized, I would like
to start on reogranizing the hints. I would like to start with a new
format which would make it easy for Jeroen to automatically add it to a
hints index. An added bonus is that since all hints would require
resubmission with the new format, the unmaintained hints will
automatically get moved to old.

Each hint would have the following sections:

    * Author(s): Who wrote the hint along with contact e-mail.
    * Date: YYYY-MM-DD format date.
    * Category: One of the predefined categories. I am not sure whether
      this should be included coz there will always be some hint that
      will break this segregation (remember the discussion on lfs-dev on
      this topic?).
    * Synopsis: One line description.
    * Primary URL: (Optional) If there is a different primary location.
      who it is targetted towards.
    * Hint: The contents of the hint. (The patches for the hint can be
      hosted on patches.linuxfromscratch.org).
    * ChangeLog: ChangeLog sorted by date. For an example, see the
      mozilla hint.

I plan to do some quality control with the hints. A hint is not there to
replace the documentation that comes with the package, it should go
beyond the documentation available elsewhere. Also, if there is an
already existing hint on a topic, instead of creating a seperate hint,
it should probably be added to the existing hint (unless the
objectives/modus operandi are different). Before writing a hint on the
same topic, the original author should be contacted and if the author
does not respond within a reasonable time, the new author can modify an
existing hint. Also hints that deal with different ways of doing things
should be seperate. (e.g. there are three devfs related hints, but all
of them have a different target audience.)

In addition, hints that are more appropriate for inclusion in the book
should be directed to lfs-dev or blfs-dev (though they can be hosted on
hints till they are incorporated), where a book editor can incorporate
them into the book.

Thoughts?

--
Tushar Teredesai