[elinks-dev] Image manager

Nicola Girardi nicola at gnu-pascal.org
Sun Mar 5 02:41:34 PST 2006

Elinks is my favourite browser and it'd be the only one if only it
could handle images better. I don't mean it should became a
graphical browser, not at all. I'll now expose my ideas on the
topic.

First of all, sometimes I find it difficult to find on a page the
image I'm interested in --- and if I don't know in advance what
images to expect, it's difficult to see what's interesting and
what's not. This is because on most web pages there are a lot of
useless decorative images or, even worse, dummy tiny images like
"spacer.gif", "blank.gif" etc.

Next, here's what my idea to improve browsing. As the subject
suggests, I'm thinking of an ``image manager''. Pressing a special
key, say X (not the `X' key but an unknown :-)), should pop up a
list of the images in the page through which the user can manipulate
the page aspect. Each entry should contain something like
thing I'd like to be able to do is, for example, select some images
to completely ignore (e.g. the "spacer.gif" images I mentioned
above). Or select some or all of the images and start a viewer (zgv
in my case) to view all of them (instead of looking for them one
by one in the page and invoking zgv).

(By the way, this idea could be extended to all media in a page, or
to show all links etc.)

I don't know if this is feasible or just crazy but ... I thought I'd
just tell you.

Best regards,

N. Girardi