[elinks-dev] Re: Feature Requests

Ligesh myself at ligesh.com
Mon Jun 19 22:44:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 04:57:44AM +0000, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:

> I've thought about adding more bindings, but I'm not sure how much work
> it would be in the end to make the built-in text editor usable. However,
> have you tried the external editor support? While editing a text field,
> press ctrl-t to launch your preferred editor (configurable under
> Setup -> Options manager -> Document -> Browsing -> Forms -> External editor
> or by setting $EDITOR). The sad part is that this doesn't work if you
> run multiple ELinks processes--only the first (the 'master terminal')
> will be able to run an external editor.

 Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I don't want a full fledged editor. I use vim for that. I am talking about simple edit box, where you fill in simple forms. For text forms, vim is the only way. It is just that I am really used to unconsciously pressing <c-w> to delete the word, wherever I am typing. (Even the old gtk forms supports it). So I am talking about simple editing, for instance, in the input URL box. The general editing for simple data everywhere; filling in forms etc.

> >                                                                                                                        Second, I was not able change the colour of the 'selected-link'. The selected link--and also the forms--appear in 'reverse-video', which is a bit hurting to the eye. I tried all sorts of tricks, incluing changing the reverse property of the xterm/screen, but didn't work out. So I would like to know if it is possible to add this.
>
> The colour settings for the active link are not with the other colours
> settings under Setup -> Options manager -> Document -> Default color
> settings; for some reason, they are under Document -> Browsing -> Links
> -> Active link.

 YES! I am an idiot. :-) The problem is that the elinks.conf did not contain all the options. Only if you change an option, does it save it in elinks.conf. You should simply have a basic elinks.conf that people can customize, but I guess the menu is good enough. I am not really good with menu searching.

> Go to Setup -> Keybinding manager and bind some keys
> to move-cursor-left, -down, -up, and -right. Is that what you wanted?

 That configuration is what I am using now, but it will hang if there are no links directly underneath. Let me explain my movement system once more. The movement of left/right arrows is straightforward. The movement for up/down is this: It moves STRAIGHT UP till it reaches a line containing a url anywhere. I am sorry if it is odd, but after using emacs-w3m for more than 3 years, I have found this to be the best option.

 Let us say the text is like this: the [] is the cursor on line 4 here, and <link:> are text that are linked.

-----------------------
 1: Elinks kicks ass <link:>
 2: download it <link:here>
 3: yup great idea
 4: so []what's to do <link:>  (contains the cursor)

 Now if I press up arrow:

 1: Elinks kicks ass <link:>
 2: dow[]nload it <link:here> (Cursor Here. No horizontal motion)
 3: yup great idea
 4: so what's to do <link:>

 So the cursor has moved STRAIGHT UP. It skipped line 3 because it did not contain a link. It went to line 2, but it did not directly move to the link, but it is STRAIGHT UP from its old position. Now you have to use <right> arrow to move it to the actual link.

 Thanks again for your help.