[blfs-support] WebKitGTK+2.12.4 unneeded sed?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 00:26:30 PDT 2016

Craig Jackson wrote:
> I understand a catchall, but it actually errors out as written in the book
> since the commands are chained with &&, and without instructions on the
> nuances of including the sed (or not), or skipping that command.  Just want
> to make sure since this doesn't seem like the behavior you would want.
>
> My initial thought was some dependency missed, but it actually does find
> those files, it just doesn't find the expression so errors out non-zero.

Please do no top post.

If you copy/paste, it does not error out.  It is a bit tricky because,
depending on the font in your browser, the search part of the sed looks a
lot lime the replacement part and can be easily mistyped.

Look closely at Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.css line 17.  The quotes
around AS IS are not ascii quote characters.

$ head -n17 Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.css|tail -n1|hexdump -C

00000000  20 2a 20 e2 80 9c 41 53  20 49 53 e2 80 9d 20 41  | * ...AS IS... A|

The 2e 80 9c and e2 80 9d sequences should just be a simple 0x22.

I suppose we could change the expression to

sed -e 's/\xe2\x80\x9c/"/' -e 's/\xe2\x80\x9d/"/'  ...

But is that better than what we have?

   -- Bruce