[blfs-support] Updates Without Crashing LFS

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 12 17:10:37 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:52:05AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 04:03:57PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> For gcc, because there are _so_many_ static libs, I would be wary if
> upgrading for a vulnerability.  For glibc, when the vulnerability
> which caused us to throw away LFS-7.9-rc1 came out, I did upgrade
> the current version of glibc (I patched a few lines).  I also did
> something similar to one version in the past, because some sort of
> usability problem (in audio, I think) was fixed.
>
> But for my older systems at the time of that glibc vulnerability : a
> couple were patched, but I was unable to backport the fixes to the
> version of glibc used in a couple of older systems - so I scrapped
> those.

And just in case it isn't obvious : for LFS, patch the same version
of glibc as you used to build the system.  AND reboot after the
glibc install.  It will probably be an unclean shutdown.  I enable
Magic-SysRQ in the kernel, so if it hangs Alt-SysRq-S (sync), pause
briefly, Alt-SysRq-B (boot).

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods