[blfs-support] Xorg-Server with systemd-logind

Douglas R. Reno renodr2002 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:11:35 PDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Paul Hentschel <paul at hpminc.com> wrote:

> I can't run "startx" as a normal user unless I build xorg-server using
> "--disable-systemd-logind ----enable-install-setuid" options. The error
> messages have to do with no permission for tty0. I should note that I also
> have Linux-PAM installed. Is there anything I can do in my configuration to
> allow a normal user to startx without disabling systemd-logind? I am
> thinking I need to add a PAM module, but I am not sure what to put in it.
> Thanks in advance for any help in understanding this.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

You need to build re-build systemd with the instructions in BLFS, which
adds support for the full logind as well as polkit and Linux-PAM, and then
rebuild Xorg-Server *without* "--disable-systemd-logind
--enable-install-setuid". I'd recommend rebuilding D-Bus as well after
Xorg, but that is just a personal preference and only depends on what
you're doing next.