[blfs-support] Raw Printing Capabilities

Pat Barnes pat.barnes at charter.net
Fri Feb 26 12:06:19 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 12:13 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> > Hello, all:
> >
> > I would like to set up my new 7.9-rc1 to "raw" print to a networked native
> > postscript printer (an HP LaserJet 4050).  By "raw," I mean by simply using
> > a line printer daemon and spooler and issuing a command such as:
> >
> > <echo "Hello" | lp>
> >
> > Coming from the BSD world, that would mean creating/editing an /etc/printcap
> > file, and maybe creating a filter to prevent stair-stepping, then issuing
> > the above command.
> >
> > However, it seems on my LFS install there is no Berkley- or SysV-style
> > lp/lpd/lpr daemons.
> >
> > I have reviewed the chapter in the current BLFS book on printing, which
> > indicates the only application providing the print daemon is CUPS, which I'm
> > not interested in.  I've also reviewed the printing hint, which is close to
> > what I want, but is limited to parallel printers, not networked printers.
> > It also appears as though LPRng has been dropped from the BLFS book,
> > although some mirrors still retain the source, and some older books the
> > installation recipe.
> >
> > Although I've been looking for a couple of days, I can't seem to find what
> > part of the puzzle I'm missing here.  If someone could fill in the missing
> > pieces of how to raw print, I'd be grateful.
>
> I find printing a challenge.  I do have an HP Officejet Pro 6830.  To get
> it to work I found I needed to install this in the following order:
>
> cups
> ghostscript !
> cups-filters
> gutenprint
> sane (for hplip)
> net-snmp (for hplip, not in blfs)
> hplip (not in blfs)
>
> I'm not sure if gutenprint is needed.
>
> hplip needs net-snmp:
>      ./configure --prefix=/usr            \
>                  --disable-embedded-perl  \
>                  --disable-perl-cc-checks \
>                  --disable-static         \
>                  --disable-manuals        \
>                  --disable-agent          \
>                  --disable-as-needed
>      make && make install
>
> hplip:
>      ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-pp-build && make && make install
>
> Then you need to get the appropriate ppd file for the printer. You'll have
> to search for it.
>
> Use the browser to set it up http://localhost:631.  To get the built in
> scanner to work, I needed to make sure the URL was:
>
> hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.0.204
>
> This ends up in the /etc/cups/printers.conf files as
> "DeviceURI hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.0.204"
>
> And I needed to set .bash_profile to define:
>
> export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.0.204
>
> Then define the default printer:
> lpoptions -d name-of-printer
>
> In addition, set the printer as default in the :631 interface.
>
> The above is pretty specific to my printer.  I hope this helps.
>
>    -- Bruce

I also use HPLIP which works great for just about any HP printer,
although to get the graphics interface you need QT4, etc. Since I am
technically an HP Retiree, I always get their printer (at a discount).
The only other gotcha that I've found in using hplip is that you need to
reboot after installation or it doesn't work. There is probably some
cache clearing operation that would solve this, but I've never seen the
instructions ...

I don't do Windows either except in VMWare for a single application I
have that doesn't work in Linux or on Wine. One day, I hope that gets
solved.

Pat