[blfs-support] startx errors

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 23 18:48:01 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 01:49:36PM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:

> On 02/23/2016 12:50 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> >>I guess I am left with the firmware but the way I read it I thought that had
> >>to do with using hardware acceleration and didn't think I HAD to have it
> >>loaded in order for an X session to come up.
> >>
> >RS780L definitely requires firmware, otherwise the radeon driver will
> >not work, and I guess that the modesetting driver too probably needs
> >the firmware.
> >
> >ĸen
> Ok Ken, You convinced me but how do I load it. I don't get my own posts but
> the last post I made on this topic shows the process and errors I got trying
> to do it. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Arnie

I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the lists at the moment:
had an earlier day than recently, but I don't seem to have grasped
the "earlier to bed" idea.  My LFS time is now concentrated on
7.9-rc, and trying to work out what in BLFS I can tag and what needs
more testing.

My RS780L is not powered up at the moment, but I saved a config from
4.0-rc4 and the following chunks should get you started - actually,
I don't recall why the _INTEL and VGA_ARB options got selected, they
are probably redundant - but read any config help they offer.  Some
of these options are selected by other options.

#
# Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT.
# Linux/x86 4.0.0-rc4 Kernel Configuration
#
#

#
# Generic Driver Options
#
# CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER is not set
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
# CONFIG_STANDALONE is not set
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/RS780_pfp.bin radeon/RS780_me.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
# CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK is not set

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
CONFIG_INTEL_GTT=y
CONFIG_VGA_ARB=y
CONFIG_VGA_ARB_MAX_GPUS=16
# CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO is not set

#
# Direct Rendering Manager
#
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
# CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE is not set
CONFIG_DRM_TTM=y

#
# I2C encoder or helper chips
#
# CONFIG_DRM_I2C_ADV7511 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I2C_CH7006 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I2C_SIL164 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I2C_NXP_TDA998X is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_GMA500 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_UDL is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AST is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGAG200 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_CIRRUS_QEMU is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_QXL is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_BOCHS is not set

#
# Frame buffer Devices
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
CONFIG_FB_CMDLINE=y
# CONFIG_FB_DDC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT is not set
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
# CONFIG_FB_CFB_REV_PIXELS_IN_BYTE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_FOREIGN_ENDIAN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SVGALIB is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MACMODES is not set
# CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set

#
# Frame buffer hardware drivers
#
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ARC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_N411 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_OPENCORES is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_I740 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_LE80578 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VT8623 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ARK is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CARMINE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SMSCUFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_UDL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_METRONOME is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MB862XX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_BROADSHEET is not set
# CONFIG_FB_AUO_K190X is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE is not set
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE is not set
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_GENERIC=y
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_APPLE is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_SAHARA is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_ADP8860 is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_ADP8870 is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LM3639 is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LV5207LP is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_BD6107 is not set
# CONFIG_VGASTATE is not set
CONFIG_HDMI=y

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE_COLUMNS=100
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE_ROWS=25
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

The CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE{,_DIR} show I have those blobs in
/lib/firmware/radeon/ - my newer Kaveri, and the newer but now dead
Aruba, need/needed a lot more blobs.  I think that the BLFS firmware
page has a link to a gentoo page which tends to be up to date for
which chips need which blobs - but without a working graphical
browser I imagine the tables on that page will be near-enough
impossible to read correctly (so, use the host system).

And yes, I like penguins on the initial screen.  People have
reported problems (penguins remaining instead of scrolling away),
but for me they work fine.

I have used framebuffers for most of the time I've been using linux
(at times I had a mac G4 laptop and then a G5 desktop, as well as
one other ppc I eventually wished I had never bought, although it
did let me play at kernel hacking) : you might want to play with the
console font size to get readable ttys, or use command-line options.

My RS780L shares a 1600x1200 screen and uses "video=800x600" on the
command-line with an 8x16 font.  Other machines using that screen
use the 12x22 kernel font - in LFS I load the appropriate size of my
LatGrkCyr font - the two sizes look very different, and certainly
the 8x16 looks bad if your text is black on white, but for me they
are readable (I tried to make the different 'accents' as readable as
possible).  Actually, the font itself isn't important - choose your
own - but I like to promote what I created ;)  What is important is
to get the tty text to a size you can read  without difficulty,

ĸen