[blfs-support] I'm curious

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 16 15:42:30 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016, at 07:52 AM, Mikel Rychliski wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:12:14 -0800
> Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > So, seriously, when is that done?  I suppose sharing a /usr branch,
>
> I don't think it's very commonly used anymore. In most distributions
> initramfs is used instead for the early userspace or as backup when
> the main root partition won't boot.

Initrams have no use except for distros that might meet an unpredictable
huge variety of hardware configurations, useless for any particular
configuration which should have its own customized kernel.

> When I create ISOs to install LFS on new machines, I usually create a
> small bootable disk using the 'root partition' only (I don't copy
> over the /usr directory). I boot up in this minimal environment to
> copy over tarballs of the complete system and extract them on the
> local disk.

I do something similar, but do install a complete FHS.  For me a new
/usr is part of the new system.  Letting old stuff hang around is ripe
for incompatibility headaches.

> I still think it's valuable from a learning perspective though. It's
> neat to see that the whole system will come up with the few hundred
> files in '/', as opposed to the thousands in '/usr'

I'm too old to be impressed by "neat"--wore out that particular T-shirt
so long ago I hardly remember.  I want stability and ease of operation.

> > But even then, wouldn't it be better to use "./configure --prefix=/"
> > so everything stays where pcre-config knows it was put?
>
> This will install the headers at /include (which won't get picked up
> by other programs). Same with the manpages at /share/man.

Wouldn't?  Hmmmm

> --prefix=/usr --libpath=/lib is a little better. But it still installs
> the pkgconfig files at /lib/pkgconfig, which won't get picked up by
> other programs (unless added to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH).

Which I certainly do.

> Even though pcre-config doesn't know the true locations of the files,
> the '/usr/lib/libpcre.so -> ../../lib/libpcre.so.1.2.6' symlink keeps
> everything working.

"O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive."  Sir
Walter Scott.

In my experience, there's no such thing as a "little white lie".
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders