[blfs-support] keyboard setup in graphical terms

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:22:16 PST 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 02:38, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:47:49PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks.  /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev shows the symbol names
>> >are BKSP and DELE with values of 22 and 119.
>> >
>> >xmodmap -pke shows (for these)
>> >keycode  22 = BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace NoSymbol \
>> >NoSymbol Terminate_Server NoSymbol NoSymbol Terminate_Server
>>
>> For me it is keycode  22 = BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace, nothing
>> beyond that.
>
> I suspect the extras (in essentially-unreachable positions) are from
> the gb version, or else I must have copied something stupid when I
> extended it.
>>
>> >keycode 119 = Delete NoSymbol Delete
>>
>> Same here.  Using konsole.  I have it set up for a keyboard set to 'Linux'.
>> Editing that shows a backspace as \xf7 and delete is \E[3~
>>

> I have not tried konsole-5 yet, but I've copied my settings over
> from /home on the other test box so it is hopefully already
> adjusted.
>
>> Using xev, my output is slightly different:
>>
>> Baskspace
>> KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
>>     root 0xb5, subw 0x0, time 2390690966, (-512,-4), root:(2279,494),
>>     state 0x10, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen YES,
>>     XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>>     XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>>     XFilterEvent returns: False

>> KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
>>     root 0xb5, subw 0x0, time 2390697894, (-512,-4), root:(2279,494),
>>     state 0x10, keycode 119 (keysym 0xffff, Delete), same_screen YES,
>>     XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7f) ""
>>     XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7f) ""
>>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>>
>> I think the only thing different is serial and that because I use a US PC105
>> keyboard.
>>
>> Checked in xterm and BS deletes the character to the left of the cursor in
>> vim instert mode.  Delete remove the character under the cursor.  The bash
>> command line works the same.
>
> Same for me, when fixed.
>

>> I do have this in /etc/inputrc:
>>
>> # for linux console
>> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
>> "\e[4~": end-of-line
>> "\e[5~": beginning-of-history
>> "\e[6~": end-of-history
>> "\e[3~": delete-char
>> "\e[2~": quoted-insert
>>
>>   -- Bruce
>>

> That all looks fairly common - but perhaps it makes the difference.
> I'll have to remember to look at Mint and Fedora to see if they do
> that.

Linux Mint with default settings and a GB keyboard:-

/etc/inputrc:-

# allow the use of the Home/End keys
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line

# allow the use of the Delete/Insert keys
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[2~": quoted-insert

# mappings for Ctrl-left-arrow and Ctrl-right-arrow for word moving
"\e[1;5C": forward-word
"\e[1;5D": backward-word
"\e[5C": forward-word
"\e[5D": backward-word
"\e\e[C": forward-word
"\e\e[D": backward-word

xmodmap -pke:-

keycode  22 = BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace NoSymbol
NoSymbol Terminate_Server

keycode 119 = Delete NoSymbol Delete

Richard