[blfs-support] Xorg server cannot start - segmentation fault

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 5 10:07:54 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 10:58:21AM +0100, Niels Terp wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Niels Terp <nielsterp at comhem.se <mailto:nielsterp at comhem.se> > wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I have build Xorg from BLFS 7.8. But X cannot start up, apparently because of a segmentation fault.
>
> Here is a dump of my Xorg.0.log file:
>
> [    45.434] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
> [    45.434] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
> [    45.434] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
> [    45.434] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
> [    45.434] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[ ... ]

> I do not have PAM installed, and I did start X as root. The listing I posted IS the whole Xorg.0.log. Very strange ?
>

> Niels

The first part of the log (the part where it mentions that it
matched the intel and modesetting drivers as 1 and 2 is missing, but
that is unlikely to help.

I see that my SandyBridge (and now my Haswell) forces uxa
acceleration [ not sure if I still need to do that ] with a file at
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection

Debugging xorg crashes is very hard, I never managed to do it (needs
gdb, and ideally you would connect from a second machine).  In the
meantime, I suggest you try a skeletal conf file like that - the
alternative AccelMethod is, ISTR, "snb".

I only realised I am still using that file because my own Xorg log
does not mention 'autoconfigured'.

Good luck!

ĸen