[blfs-support] Problem with X-window

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 28 15:40:04 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:03:18PM +0100, spakyelj wrote:
> I have built a working X Window System from (B)LFS 7.8 on desktop 1.
> I copied the whole system to a laptop and it worked there all-right.
> I copied that same system to another desktop (2), but there the X-system did
> not work. Outpot from Xorg.0.log:
>
> [ 27.148] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
> [    27.185] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
> [    27.185]     RIVA TNT        (NV04)
> [    27.185]     RIVA TNT2       (NV05)
> [    27.186]     GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
> [    27.186]     GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
> [    27.186] (--) using VT number 7
>
> [    27.193] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
> [    27.193] (EE) No devices detected.
>
> The main difference between the systems: desktop 1 and the laptop have Intel
> graphics-chips, desktop 2 NVIDIA (output from lspci:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV5 [Riva TNT2 Model
> 64 / Model 64 Pro] (rev 15))
>
> I think that I set all the necessary graphics-support parts of the
> kernel-configuration to "y". To save space I have not added those lines
> here.
>
> Google did not give me any clear clues about "[drm] KMS not enabled".
>
> Can anyone help me on my way again? Thanks beforehand.

The recent similar problems which google finds for me appear to have
been caused either by people trying to run a slightly too-old kernel
(4.0 was mentioned as ok, that was for the debian nouveau package),
or else by people who had been using nvidia's closed-source
binaries.  Apparently those don't clean up nicely when they are
removed, and the nouveau kernel module gets blacklisted.

I'm not a nouveau user, but in your kernel config:

DRM_NOUVEAU should be set (it looks like the main enabler, depends
on various things, in menuconfig use '/DRM_NOUVEAU' if you cannot
enable it).  In fact, it looks to me as if that is the only thing
which requires to be set to build nouveau in the kernel.

There is also NOUVEAU_PLATFORM_DRIVER if this is a SoC (System on
Chip) - but I guess that the RIVA TNT2 is NOT a SoC because the
concept seems to be fairly recent.  Google suggests it is Tegra and
newer : I believe those are for ARM not x86.

If DRM_NOUVEAU is enabled: is it a module ?  If so, try modprobing
it before you run startx.  I would expect that to happen
automatically unless it is blacklisted.

Beyond that, perhaps FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE needs to be set ?

The only references to KMS in _my_ (ATI) config are DRM_KMS_HELPER
and DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER - the first of those is, for me, selected
(i.e. turned on automatically) by HAS_IOMEM && DRM, and the second
for you would be selected by DRM_NOUVEAU.

ĸen
  aka "The hedgehog song"