[blfs-support] xmlto patch

Wayne Sallee Wayne at WayneSallee.com
Wed Oct 28 06:31:10 PDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 04:14 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 02:19:10PM -0400, Wayne Sallee wrote:
>> I'm wondering if the patch at https://github.com/handyman5/homebrew/commit/4e0ceb899082c6134ab5a162f5e3d930d54e3fce
>> should be added to BLFS.
>>
>> I commented out the
>> XSLTOPTS="$XSLTOPTS --nonet"
>>
>> and rebuilt xmlto, and it took care of the problem.
>>
>> Wayne Sallee
>> Wayne at WayneSallee.com
> The first rule is that a patch is either necessary, or useful.  We
> have a few patches in -patches which people have considered useful
> for specific cases, even though those cases are too uncommon to
> include them in the book.
>
> But you haven't explained what the problem is!
>
> And although I'm not averse to taking patches from everywhere (even
> BSDs, if I can find them), I tend to be dubious about 'homebrew'
> because that implies building for OSX and I do not regard that as
> having very much in common with our systems.  So, I haven't looked
> at it for the moment.
>
> FWIW, the second rule (sometimes to my annoyance) is that if it is
> simple, we usually prefer sed to patch.
>
> ĸen

What might be desired for BLFS is simply a patch that comments out
XSLTOPTS="$XSLTOPTS --nonet"
in the file
xmlto.in

The problem is that when compiling programs that use docbook, which uses xmlto, you get a build error like
"unable to load http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
even when internet is available, because that line blocks internet access.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne at WayneSallee.com