[blfs-support] initramfs BLFS-BOOK-7.7 Chapter 5 - Easy Choice

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 10 10:41:53 PDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 01:19:42PM -0400, Wayne Sallee wrote:
> It looks like I can follow the instructions to create initramfs, and then not be stuck using them.
>
> It looks like I can change my mind any time, by simply editing grub.cfg.
>
> It looks like I could even have boot options in grub.cfg, to chose with or without initramfs for the same kernel.
>
> Are my assumptions correct?

I suppose so, but (ignoring volume management and encryption, which
many of us do not use) a kernel using an initrd/intramfs can have
everything as a module.  A kernel not using these (the normal LFS
approach) needs to have the disk driver and filesystem for the
rootfs ('/') compiled in, not as modules.

You can, of course, have multiple versions of the same kernel if you
wish, e.g. by adding to the EXTRAVERSION, e.g. -A, -B.  This is
occasionally useful if you wish to improve the config.

Oh, and if you use CPU microcode, then that needs a _separate_
initrd - see e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode
which I think mentions how to do that.  BLFS covers microcode in the
"we don't need no initrd in LFS, except for microcode" context.

ISTR that you also have to update the initramfs/initrd every time
you build a new kernel.  For some of us, new kernels are a frequent
occurrence ;-)

ĸen
  aka "The hedgehog song"